Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Morning Coffee at the River and Some Fabulous Finds Too

I had the great privilege of being invited to stay for two nights and two days at my friends' place on the White River.  This is the view that greeted us every morning.  She had available all flavors of coffee and instructed us where all was so that we could enjoy the view if all were not awake.  I, sleeping soundly,  was the last one up both mornings. We spent the mornings watching the birds and beasts and learning about the latest apps for the IPhone.   I wish I taken photos of the interior of their river home.  She and her husband have done a fabulous job with painting, furniture placement and all other interior work.  The interior is so serene.  Visiting is like staying at a high end retreat with the best hostess ever.  We slept late, had lunch at unusual places and shopped the area's antique shops and boutiques.  The antique shops are wonderful in the area.  


The shops were full of unique, inexpensive, beautiful finds.   I found the Moroccan table, some floral frogs, a set of  china, linen napkins, a pair of vintage cotton gloves and  a necklace made by a local artist.  The china is Johnson Brothers, a service for six and I paid $ 40.00 for all.  I can't imagine finding anything nicer that is new.  I am going to recycle and enjoy setting my table as well.  The beaded necklace was only $ 10.00.  How could someone spend so much time to create such beauty and sell it so inexpensively?  The set of hand embroidered linen napkins were $ 1.00.  Such loveliness  and such love in the workmanship for so little.  The previous article features the Moroccan tea table (some of you are holding back your opinion, don't). 

My two friends and I had so much fun at the antique shops purchasing those items.  We returned to this fabulous view each evening to have our wine.  We caught up, told stories,laughed.  The first night our fabulous hostess had Eggplant Parmesan and Asparagus bundles prepared for our dinner.  The second night we had all sorts of fattening appetizers.  I can't say when I have been so relaxed.  What a generous friend to share such a peaceful place.  I miss my friend often because she and her husband spend most of their time at the river now.  Having experienced their place first hand, I have no jealousy and more understanding.  They have worked hard to create their oasis and may they spend many peaceful moments there.

3 comments:

  1. TOW, thanks for showing me the new apps. I have used the dictionary everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't add a thing. It was truly wonderful to spend time with two of my favorite people in such a beautiful setting. I'm glad the apps are helpful. BTW, the round table looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I can make myself leave the valley I am going to find more shops for the next time!

    ReplyDelete