Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Bunnies, Chicks and Haviland



 This is our first Easter without  mother.  When my sister and I began to talk about Easter it was all about the china our mother and grandmothers  had used and what flowers would be used.  We decided to borrow mother's Haviland that she received when she and Dad married in 1950.  The pattern is Rosalind which is frilly, soft and feminine.  Not many folks now like or use these frilly, old fashioned patterns  but it seemed perfect for Easter.  It is pictured here on mother's vintage embroidered tablecloth with embroidered napkins.  The crystal belonged to my paternal aunt and is delicate enough to be used with the Haviland. 


The flowers in this antique silverplate bowl,  which belonged to my mother-in-law, were cut and given to me by a very generous friend.  Flowers and Easter, both symbols of new life.   It was necessary to use one of my vintage "frogs" in this container to hold the flowers.  For those of you unfamiliar with "frogs", they are what preceded florist foam.  Each may be made of wire or glass and they help to hold flower stems  in containers that would otherwise be unsuited for a flower arrangement. 

Here is the Haviland again on a cutwork vintage linen tablecloth.  This was set up in the kitchen as a table for two for the kitchen help, my sister and myself.  The flower arrangement has had some of the neighbor's jonquils added.  They are arranged in an antique oriental container. 


As we did not have enough Haviland to seat all our guests at one table, we decided to also use mother's Nortake China.  This was china my dad sent to my mother when he was serving in the Korean Conflict in Japan.  It is much more modern in appeal.  I think this china is much more suitable in my dining room because of the strong colors.  We also used the crystal that mother had to match the china.  I think it set a beautiful table and since there were lots of family members present the use of it sparked many memories of meals shared around other tables with this china. 


The strong china patterned demanded a stronger floral arrangement.  I used discount store gerber daisies along with some of my friend's viburnum and bridle wreath  in comtemporary white vases.  The orange of the gerbers was the perfect compliment to the strong green in the china.


Another photograph of the table for eight.  I think eight is the maximum number of guests to seat comfortably at a rectangle table  A table with more than eight can become noisy and clumsy.    You may notice the use of the individual salt cellars.  These were inherited from my paternal aunt.






This hollow, chocolate, foil wrapped Easter bunny became my place marker.  I used hobby store adhesive letters to monogram each bow tie.



For dessert, a magical carrot cake with edible grass, Cadberry eggs and Peeps on the pineapple, butter cream frosting for dessert.  A friend and myself spent a good part of Saturday making these cakes and they were a big hit with the old and the young.  We had fun in the process.




The menu was simple fair.  Smoked ham, hashbrown casserole, fresh aspagagus roasted with garlic and olive oil, hot rolls with carrot cake and coffee for dessert. 



Here the silver platters are laid out on our antique desk awaiting the arrival of food and our guests. Each piece of silver was inherited from my aunt or mother and are used with joy and memories of the many meals we shared together.    The foil bunnies are old fashioned and await the guests as well.  The antique parque desk sits between the living room and dining room and serves many purposes.



This Easter was made special by the attendance of some family and some good friends. There was much laughter and good conversation.  The weather was perfect.  Richard was the perfect host.   My aunt, Lillie, who this blog is named in honor of, my uncle, Lindsey (Uncle) and daughter, Caroline; they came bearing a beautiful bunch of red tulips which we are still enjoying.  Our friend, Barbara, she of the magical garden and kind heart and our friends and neighbors, Donis and Bonnie; they brought two bottles of a wonderful German wine.  Our daughter, Katy and our son-in-law, Shawn,.  Our special guest of honor, my father, Jimmy and his sister, Bibbie.  My sister, Lindsey; my cohort in planning.  My Aunt Lillie whispered to me that my mother and grandmother were watching from above and that they were pleased.  Our friend said it was the perfect party.  My neighbor/friends stayed until every last piece of china and crystal were handwashed and dried.  I slept soundly that night after a lovely Easter day having had bunnies and chicks and having had the opporunity to use my mother's Haviland.


Each person we shared this Easter day with has in some way shared a  meal and their home with us.    They have laid the table, cleaned the silver, prepared the food, arranged the flowers, bought the wine and/or earned the money to pay for the food  just as we did today.  What a joy to be able to share in the same way with them.

Here are  some of my favorite things from Easter day.

This is an antique Easter card that I had framed 15 years ago.  I have a series of these representing different holidays.  This easel sits on my desk.  The next to go out is the Mother's Day card.  The Mother's day card was one that my husband's aunt had sent to his grandmother as a child. 






Cute little foil bunny couple.




Flower arrangement in white ceramic bird vase.


Wine and coffee.



Cute white bunny napkin ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment