Friday, January 27, 2012

Repurposing: What Every Southern Girl Has Always Known

I love that my profession and the public in general has caught on to repurposing.  My grandmother did it, my mother did it and my mother in law as well. Most of the southern women I have known in my life have done it.   I have many examples of that new trend in my house today. 

This pewter punch bowl belonged to grandmother and it was brought out for teas and luncheons.  We don't do teas and luncheons much anymore so I have put it to use as an attractive bread basket in my kitchen.  It had been stored in an attic until I found an adapted use.

This secretary served in a my great great grandfather's doctor's office in the 1800's .  He might be appalled to discover a variety of potions, lotions, make- up and hair gizmo that it contains today.  Toilet paper and wash cloths are stored in the drawers.  There is also a silver tray that belonged to my grandmother inside the cabinet that serves to hold my perfumes.  The secretary was unwanted by everyone including me when breaking up my parents household but I just couldn't  let it go.
This silver tray belonged to my aunt.  I don't really think she would mind that it now houses our liquor for the bar.






This silver tray belonged to my maternal grandmother.  She was Southern Baptist to the core and might be appalled that it now holds our liquors and brandies for after dinner.  Elsewise it would be relegated to some corner of the attic sitting lonely in pacific cloth.

This bamboo sofa belonged to my husband's maternal grandmother and has served many well since the 1950's.  It was used by us in the beginning of our marriage as our only sofa.  It was a natural bamboo at the time.  Now painted black it is perfect for our screened porch.


The bergere belonged to my husband's maternal grandmother and had no springs because it was manufactured during WWII.  It has a double and has been reupholstered and used by many in the family.  I love these chairs.  The Chinese chair is one of a pair and is a recent addition.  These chairs were in my paternal aunt's house during her Asian phase in the 1960's.  They were rescued from her tiny apartment upon her passing in horrible condition.  They have been refurbished and are quite comfortable.  I have also incorporated many items ordered from clients that just did not work for them.  That is where the lovely leather topped tea table came from.  I love it and am so happy it did not work for that client.




The oil painting is quite beautiful.  It is not by a listed artist but came from a well known gallery in Chicago.  I recovered it from a man who had bought a bank, found it among the refuse and was going to dispose of it.  It is one of my favorites. 











Of course, we all have our favorite junk store/ flea market stories.  This Italian charcoal is from the 1950's.  It is from a respected St. Louis gallery.  It has had a prominent place in my home since discovering it.














Not every item in my current home is a found item or repurposed item.  I do love the pieces I have kept from the landfill.  What a great example set for me by the Southern women I have known.  Keeping and repurposing these items has made my surroundings and my life richer.  I hope I have passed this passion to my daughter and she will pass it on to her son.

People often ask me about the eclectic decor of my house.  Now that I consider that question it has so much to do with my past and what I found too valuable to dispose of.















No comments:

Post a Comment