Monday, January 16, 2012

Kitchen Confidential: Part II: The Process

Custom mixed Italian Straw
The first part of the process is always the paint.  Going from Signal Red to any color is a bold endeavor.  The trim and cabinets (referenced in (Kitchen Confidential) will remain a greige color.  This custom mixed Italian Straw will allow almost any color upholstery and accents to be used.  It will lighten up the corners and the work surfaces.  I love warm colors and this is a warm yellow.  The spouse replaced all the outlets and switches to bring the electrical hook ups into this century.  I don't recommend this for those of you who have spouses that are not handy.  Hire an electrician.  This is all in preparation for the painter.  A real mess will be made if this is done after painting.


New lighting will go a long way to freshening up the breakfast room and the kitchen.  I was lucky enough to catch sales on the Internet.  These fixtures were purchased for less than my wholesale cost.

24" x 36" chandelier from Seagull Lighting, will hang over the center island where the pot rack hung.


I have decided to step up my game.  The kitchen is a fun place to use fancy fixtures.

Small 12" diameter chandelier from Crystorama will hang in breakfast room.




This small chandelier is perfect for the breakfast room.  One of the hazards of  ordering  online can be small or large differences in what you see and what you get.  The following photo illustrates this point.


This is the actual finish that was on the chandelier. 
Not only is the finish wrong but it is quite unattractive.  Need I say a little on the bordello side.  It was such a bargain that a can of spray paint and a few minutes of time will achieve the correct color.  I could have sent it back but the spray paint was cheaper than return shipping.

This five by eight rug will be perfect in the breakfast room with the combination of soft yellow and greige.  It is as if this rug was made for this project.

Sitting on that rug will be a settee, an antique pub table, and two chairs.  I love the whole idea of the settee as we can use it for casual seating or use it when we have an intimate meal in the kitchen.  I long for this as sitting at the bar for everyday meals is uncomfortable.
Pier I's Headington love seat .


Pier I love seat is covered in this fabric choice.

The Pier 1 Headington love seat is surprisingly comfortable and has the traditional aesthetic I long for.  The palette of this fabric has warm yellow, soft gold, light blues and soft greens.

I have an addiction to chairs.  I plan to use two I already own.  Chairs are great as they are so adaptable and can be moved throughout the house.

This chair has had many lives in my home.  It currently sits in my home office and is covered in a neutral fabric. 
This is the new fabric I will use to cover the chair seat.  It will liven up this little chair and give it a fresh look.


And for the final addition to this seating area my beloved cowhide chair.  This chair has resided in almost every room of this house.  Twenty years ago I bought this at an antique store.  It was painted black lacquer and had red vinyl upholstery on it.  It looked as if it had resided in a bordello.  I had it professional stripped and oil it to keep the natural wood looking good.  At the time I had to search high and low to find the horse hide.  I think it will make the perfect compliment to my seating arrangement.

Will be posting as progress is made so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment