Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Smith's Tamale Pie

We are experiencing unusually cool weather here in NE AR.  My mind turns to cooler climates and fall foods.  This Tamale Pie recipe is old and has been handed down for at least four generations.  My mother got it from one of her friends she had grown up with.  This is one of her friends she was closest to and always said "she is just one of those people I never remember not knowing."  The story is that the Smith's had this every Christmas Eve and so the tradition continued with my family.  This is labor and love intensive but worth the effort.  Sassy always served this with her slaw and saltine crackers.  Once again this is written in Sassy's own handwriting.  Yes, she did grind her own meat and today I wish I had that hand meat grinder she used.  Until making this I had no idea how much love and care went into this dish.

Once you make this you will understand why it was served only on Christmas Eve.  It was made lovingly ahead of time and frozen so Sassy could join in the festivities.  I have never made hot tamales (the regular size), but after my daughter's experience I will most likely continue to buy them in my home state of Mississippi and bring them home to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment