Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Mad Hatter

One might think from the title that I have been to see Johnny Depp's new version of  "Alice in Wonderland".  Though it looks to be interesting I have yet to see it.  Today is a beautiful spring day and I am daydreaming of beautiful spring and summer hats.  This is a lifestyle blog afterall and I think hats have much to do with lifestyle.  Sadly, for most,  hats went out of fashion in the 1960's.  I love hats.  They make me feel more feminine and walk taller.  There are hats for the winter but they are all about comfort and safety.  Spring and summer hats are more about happiness.  One doesn't wear a summer hat to keep the cold out. 

In my wanderings to get a little retail therapy I have observed there are more hats available than in the last 10 years.  I hope this means we will be seeing them on ladies in church, on the beach, and just out and about.  I have a collection of hats because I wear them.  I love to watch film footage of the Kentucky Derby because not only do the ladies enjoy wearing hats it is required. 



Pictured here is my beloved Kaminski straw hat.  Richard gave this to me 15 years ago for some occasion.  It is tried and true and I still wear it often.  I had some lady tell me one day that the crown was too low for someone of my mature age.  Balogny.  This is my go to hat.


A beautiful little cocktail hat from the 1940's.  Yet to find the appropriate event for this one.  I purchased this at an antique shop because it called out to me.



This is a little Asian number that works great with black cigarette slacks and a tunic.  Perfect for a summer or fall afternoon.  This one makes me smile.


A friend purchased this hat for me 10 years ago.  It has been to church and the grocery store.  I remember how much fun we had trying hats on that day.  I will always cherish this hat and that day.



This is an Italian straw hat.  The Italians make great hats.  This one is great with linen or jeans.  Brim is a little dramatic to make the church cut.  Don't think the chalice bearer at church would find this amusing.


This is the perfect beach or poolside hat.  My swimsuits these days look more like short skirts and a hat just makes the whole swimsuit experience more tolerable.  This color just evokes sunshine and hot weather.


This white, floppy hat just speaks to me.  What does it say?  Easter Sunday or Kentucky Derby Day.  Colorful sheath and shoes complete this outfit.  White is so fresh.


This is another Italian beauty.  The flowers are woven into the straw.  It is sophisticated yet fun.  This will be perfect with a black sheath, pumps and pearls. 




This Italian cotton hat has an extra wide brim.  We are all concerned about taking too much sun and this solves the problem in a fun way.  Once again a hat to make the swimsuit blues go away.








This pink straw hat was afordable and has been worn with a vintage button up shift dress for Easter.  I have this one in cream and black as well.  A girl can never have too many hats.

So many hats and so few sunny days.  Make yourself and others smile.  Go out and find your perfect hat today.  Wear it to church, to the grocery store, to the beach or to the pool.  Make everyday an occasion.  I'll see you out there and I will be wearing mine.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I felt comfortable in them. I am SO short that I feel like people will think I am playing dress up. I did get two out last week and play dress up with my grand daughter. She thought it was great fun! Maybe she will be taller than me and will include them in her wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete